Salon Ruygoord, Amsterdam
Dark, dreamy and neo-classical sounds lure you into the deep and welcome you in the marvelous land of imagination...
The music of Jyoti Verhoeff is both intriguing and enchanting, almost cinematic in nature – with its many layers, endless amount of subtleties, and organic structures. Music, balancing on the edge of the known, where nothing is predictable anymore yet everything is recognizable.
“Rarely have i heard such an ambitous debut album / Their interplay pushes the boundaries of perfection / A neo-classical, dreamy and dark sound / Amazingly marvelous”OOR music magazine
Jyoti Verhoeff is a singer-songwriter, composer and pianist. At the age of four, she discovered the expressionistic power of the grand piano, while visiting the house of composer Simeon ten Holt, a friend of the family. She started playing by herself at the age of eight when her parents bought her a piano.
Being born with disabled eye vision, she had to find ways beyond the usual ways of studying music to express her rich inner world through the piano and with her voice. Because of her dedication and unique talent for music she was able to develop a virtuoso piano technique and an authentic and organic style of composing.
Jyoti is highly sensitive and has a very accurate and detailed hearing. Jyoti: "Music became a journey to become fully present in every frequency of a note, a growing awareness of an intense and deep way to communicate beyond our common belief structures."
In 2012 Jyoti met the classically trained cellist Maya Fridman. The Russian born Maya was only 6 when she was already recognized as a very gifted musician. In 2001 she was awarded in the International Competition "Young Talents of Moscow". She graduated from the Moscow State College of Music, and she was selected to study at the Conservatory of Amsterdam, where she currently studies under professor Dmitry Ferschtman.
From the moment Jyoti Verhoeff and Maya Fridman met each other they have formed an inseparable duo. Jyoti: "I love working and playing together with Maya, she is a magician on her instrument, using it with immense passion and skillfully letting it express a wide range of tales, inspiring me endlessly when i am writing songs."
The connection between Jyoti and Maya is certainly one to mention: during their live performances they are as one instrument, melting into lyrical lines of unrivalled expression. The space between them seems filled with fire, luring the listener to the unknown...
Jyoti Verhoeff, and her musical companion cellist Maya, were finalists at Mooie Noten, as well as finalists at the singer-songwriter competition De Grote Prijs van Nederland 2013. In the latter Maya received the "Best Musician" prize, for her contribution on both cello and vocals. Jyoti and Maya have toured through Germany, opening for the famous band FAUN, both in 2013, as well as on their 2014 tour.
The debut double album of Jyoti Verhoeff, named RIVEN, was released in June of 2014 in the Main Hall of Paradiso in Amsterdam where they performed together with a symphony orchestra and choir. Some of the compositions of the RIVEN album have been used as the soundtrack for the Dutch documentary De Nieuwe Wildernis/In Dialoog met de Natuur.
Whether they play as a duo or with a full orchestra and choir, the intense, captivating songs take the listener on an enchanting journey, after which they are left behind at the shores of the land of the living.
- SOLD OUT the EP presentation concert in the Melkweg, Amsterdam.
- Prizewinning artist: Finalist Grote Prijs van Nederland (2013), Finalist Mooie Noten (2013) and Winner of the Best Musician prize in the finals of de Grote Prijs van Nederland (2013).
- Synchronisation of her compostions to the famous "De Nieuwe Wildernis – In dialoog met de natuur" documentary.
- Extraordinary music video with original footage of the awarded film "De Nieuwe Wildernis"
- Album recording in the legendary Wisseloord Studios and mastering by multiple TEC- and Grammy Award winning mastering engineer Darcy Proper.
- Several tours in Germany as opening act for the famous band FAUN (2013, 2014).
- First copy of her debut double album RIVEN handed to astronaut André Kuipers.
- SOLD OUT PARADISO's main hall for the debut album release party, in a phenomenal concert, combining her duo with a whole symphony orchestra and choir (2014).